Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, January 17, 2014

After a long absence......

We're back!!!

It has now been two years since our original journey began, and I am currently 13 pounds lighter than when I first started.  Life......ya know?

So it's back on the horse we go.  We've been at this new round of getting healthy for two weeks now, and Jake is down 8.2 pounds.  Me? My body has been a little slow to respond this time around, which I've heard is quite common for repeat weight loss after having lost so much the first time around (roughly 60 lbs).  So I'm down 3.6 pounds, respectable for a week and a half I think.

The difference this time, however, is that Jake and I are taking two different approaches to our eating sort of as an experiment, although accidentally so.  I started out only counting my calories, but quickly found that it allowed me too much freedom in my eating and I ended up eating crap I really had no business eating (if a donut or two fits into my calories for the day, I can eat it and still lose right?).  I know it's calories in versus calories out, but for me, I decided to go back to Weight Watchers, which gives me a more well-rounded approach and lets me eat some good stuff while still keeping me reined in (I need that reining in; I can't have too much freedom!!).  After doing so, I lost weight after having gained for several days in a row.  Counting calories has worked just fine for Jake, however, so he's sticking with it.  I will say that counting calories is a whole lot easier than Weight Watchers simply because you have one number to focus on rather than having to calculate how many 'points' each thing is that I'm eating.  But it worked quite well for me before, so I'm going back to what works for me.

We also got a recumbent bike recently, which I really love.  My desk job, while something I love, keeps me on my butt for hours a day, which in combination with my penchant for not being active and being so heavy as a result, has led to back and knee problems.  And while I did love running, I found that it was really tough to keep up because it just killed my knees.  The recumbent bike has been an absolute God send in that it puts no pressure on my knees or back, which allows me to move for longer periods of time, and I actually worked out for 96 minutes a few days back, something I never would have dreamed of doing two years ago! I'm hoping to up the resistance as my legs get stronger (something I need desperately since my legs are like wet noodles and so weak from years of neglect) so that eventually we can both gets bikes and ride outside (we are on a serious hill here and there aren't very many level places to ride around here to start out easier)-that's my goal anyway! We live in such a gorgeous place here that it's a shame to not get out more, but our goal for this year is to really explore the outdoors and start doing some hiking on our days off together so we can see more of this:



Weekly weigh-in:

Steph

Starting weight (round 2): 227.2
Current weight: 223.6

Total weight loss: 3.6 lbs

Jake

Total weight loss: 8.2 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment